Everyone had a great time at the long-awaited celebration for the playground upgrade at Riverpark Reserve yesterday. Families enjoyed the sausage sizzle and facepainting and children made the most of the improved playground and flying fox. People of various ages tried out the fitness stations. There was also the opportunity to try out zumba and 3 members of the Riverpark Action Group did their best to encourage others to participate. The cloudy weather meant we didn’t have to worry as much as usual about getting sunburnt!
Four members of the Riverpark Action Group were present (Nicole, Olga, Monique and Jacqui) but unfortunately Selina and Roy were not able to make it on the day.
Will Flavell (left-hand side below) from the Henderson-Massey Local Board acted as MC and local kaumatua Reverend Papa Fred Holloway (right-hand side below) blessed the playground with prayer and karakia. We would like to thank them both very much and Auckland Council staff member Genieve for organising the event.
In addition to Will Flavell, three other members of the Henderson-Massey Local Board (Ingrid Papau, Brenda Brady, Brooke Loader and Peter Chan) came to celebrate with us. Shane Henderson was also there to mark the day in his new role as newly elected Waitakere Ward councillor for Auckland. Each Henderson-Massey Local Board member said a few words and Shane Henderson made a speech.
Jacqui Ross, Chairperson of the Riverpark Action Group also spoke on behalf of the group. This was followed by the cutting of the ribbon by Jacqui Ross with the assistance of two local children.
The photos below show people enjoying the day and the improved playground and flying fox…
We would like to give our very sincere thanks to everyone who contributed to this project including the following people/organisations;
- Henderson-Massey Local Board – funding and support
- Auckland Council project managers – Tracey Hodder, Lucy Ullrich, Greer Clark
- Lions Club Henderson-West Auckland – for working with us to get funding for the fitness stations
- The Trusts Community Foundation – for funding the application by the Lions Club Henderson-West Auckland to allow purchase of the fitness stations
- All members of the community who participated in the consultation process and provided ideas and support for the project